Monday, October 26, 2009

The Weekend That Was

This weekend was a good one, but one that went all too fast, all the same. You know that actually makes me laugh to myself a bit, the idea of the weekend going by so quickly. Of course it goes by quickly, what are we comparing it to, the rest of the week? Of course the weekend ended as it usually does, with me lamenting the fact that we all spend so much more time at work than we do out of it, or seemingly so.

Friday night was a quiet one at home, I made some beef tacos and my Mom joined us for dinner. Saturday I dropped the little one off at religion and then headed off for some no gi training with Team Serra. Fantastic class with Monsta and Crazy Eddie taking the helm due to the usual suspects being off at the Renzo Gracie Invitational, Monsta’s warm up was intense! Side steps to the inside, sprawls, pushups, and sprinting. We then worked on defending strikes from above while holding your opponent in your guard and transitioning from there into a Kimura. We also did some feet on the floor matches with time limits. Monsta was encouraging us to finish our opponents and continually reminded us that we do not get decisions. This of course was a calling back to the injustice that was Master Sensei Matt Serra’s fight against Matt Hughes in May. And little did I know it was foreshadowing for later on that night!

Saturday night was a good time as I was joined by training partners Chris Brady and Andrew Frisa and Andrew’s brother Peter for UFC 104 at my place. We enjoyed some chips, Buffalo Chicken Dip, and BBQ chicken pizza along with Diet IBC Root Beer for me and well….regular beer for them! However, a slight damper was put on the evening due to what we felt to be a hugely erroneous decision in the main event. We all had thought that Mauricio “Shogun” Rua had clearly defeated Lyoto “the Dragon” Machida for the UFC Light Heavyweight Title however, the inept judges apparently thought otherwise giving Machida the victory via unanimous decision. Total miscarriage of justice in our opinion as Machida clearly sustained the most damage as his legs were incredibly bruised and his face was clearly busted up. Plus Rua clearly landed more shots in the fight and was dominant. I guess the judges at the Staples Center saw otherwise. Either that or, as usual, were boxing judges who don’t know a damn thing about MMA. UFC President Dana White is well known to say that fighters should never let fights go to the judges, because this is the kind of thing that can happen. White was also quoted as saying that he believed Rua had won the fight, and that a rematch would be the next fight for both men.

Sunday I had to drop Lyric off at her mother’s place early as they were attending a surprise party that afternoon. I headed home from that and got an early start on the laundry. Erin was out doing some birthday shopping for her nephew with her Mother and while they were gone I took the opportunity to make some oatmeal cookies, one of her favorites, for Erin. When Erin returned home we tried to figure out a good plan for the day ended up driving into Forest Hills and then hopping the subway into the Village.

We walked around for a while trying to decide on a spot for an early dinner and ended up settling on a place called Murphy & Gonzalez Pub and Cocina (http://www.murphy-gonzalez.com/). The food was very good however we both later regretted that we seem to be falling into a bit of a rut lately whenever we dine out. Always going for the safe bet (pub food, Mexican, Italian, Chinese, etc.) instead of trying different and more diverse fare. We realized while we were eating and also once we had finished and walked around a bit more, spotting several interesting restaurants. Erin had said that at the time she had thought we should eat quickly because she thought that I was really hungry, however I thought that she was just in the mood for the type of restaurant we ended up at. So, a little miscommunication there but not a big deal as we did enjoy the food that we ate, just a reminder to not always assume.

We continued our walk around the Village and grabbed some Starbucks and then checked out Urban Outfitters. A few coats in there that Erin liked but not at the prices they were asking for. We then ended up at this little cafĂ© for more coffee! Man, the guy in there was such a tool box. Listen, I understand that working in these cafes probably sucks, but hey pal, I didn’t force you to get a job there and neither did my wife. We are both big time “please and thank you” people and don’t deserve your snotty attitude. He literally shoved our coffee and tea at us! Then when Erin asked for a fork he said “They’re over there.” Pointing to where the sugar, milk, and etc. were. Erin walked over looked around, no forks. She came back and asked again, he repeated his sentence again in an even snottier tone to which Erin replied with a smile “I’m sorry, I don’t see them, am I missing them?” of course he got a look on his face like Erin shit in his cornflakes as he went over to look. “Oh, sorry about that, let me get you one.” What a fucking tool box.

After our coffee and tea we headed back to Forest Hills, picked up the car and headed home. The Giants horrific loss to the Cardinals was broken up by a great new episode of Dexter. Awesome performance in this episode by Jennifer Carpenter as Det. Debra Morgan and John Lithgow continues to be awesome in his role as the Trinity Killer. However Julie Benz continues to rub me the wrong way in her portrayal as Dexter’s wife Rita. She comes off as an annoying, nagging, shrew when I am sure that I am SUPPOSED to be sympathizing with her. Of course Michael C. Hall is phenomenal as always in his role as Dexter Morgan. Meanwhile the Giants infuriated me with their second piss poor effort in a row. They really need to get their shit together if they’re going to challenge in the post season.

And here we are at Monday again, I’m back at work and the Mrs. is still stuck on the Grand Jury. Meanwhile I’m wishing I was either home with her or on the mats at Serra. I also have some lyrics floating around in my head. Hopefully something will come of them. I finished the fantastic “A Mad Dash” by Henry Rollins this weekend and I am now again without a book. The new issues of Rolling Stone and Spin will help to get me through the commute for now.

Well, I babbled on far too long again with nothing of much importance to say I’m afraid. Ah well, anyone who stumbles upon this blog should know what to expect by now. Until next time, be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment